Generic spam plug-in

Rakesh rakesh at NETCORE.CO.IN
Mon Jun 6 07:04:11 IST 2005

Dhawal Doshy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Julian Field wrote:
>

>> If I write you folks a generic way of adding in a spam-processing
>> plugin, how would you like it to work?
>> A command-line or a function call?
>> How do you want the envelope data? (client ip, sender, recipients)
>>
>> Returns a spam yes/no flag, or a score to add to SpamAssassin?
>> Or a yes/no flag with a configurable score in MailScanner.conf?
>>
>> How do you actually want this interface to work?
>>

> Command lines sound easier compared to functions for a non-programmer
> like me.

<snip>

> Situation one (as already proposed by Julian)
> =============
> The 3rd party engine outputs SPAM / NOTSPAM, in which case use the
> following flags
> a. NO (surely not spam)
> b. YES (surely spam)
> c. SKIPPED (if no output is found)
>
> Situation two
> =============
> The 3rd party engine outputs a %age or a number (say -100 to +100)
> then the input filter will watch for a number and based on that give
> the following flag
> a. NO (surely not spam)
> b. MOSTLY_NO (mostly not spam)
> c. MOSTLY_YES (probably spam)
> d. YES (surely spam)
> e. SKIPPED (if no number is found)
>
> Flag Action: (again as recommended by Julian)
> The above flags NO,(MOSTLY_NO),(MOSTLY_YES),YES,SKIPPED with a
> configurable score in MailScanner.conf seem most flexible to me.

I agree with Dhawal on the Scoring mechanism of the plugin, which should
be configurable in MailScanner.conf , however I feel that it should be
invoked using function call instead of command line. A function call
would be efficient in terms of processesing and since this plugin is
going to be called from with in MailScanner, I think we need not bother
much on its command line version.

Rakesh