bayes.lock files haunting me...

Mailscanner mailscanner at MCKERRS.NET
Sat Jun 4 14:10:55 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:

> Kevin Miller wrote:
>
>> Julian Field wrote:

>>> The wait only applies to MailScanner's rebuilds, it has no effect on
>>> your cron job's operation.
>>>

>> Yeah, I understand that.  If I kill the cron job, and leave the
>> rebuild at
>> 86400, should the wait be enabled?  Default is no, but in this case what
>> does wisdom dictate?
>>

> It depends a bit on the mail traffic through your site. If the rebuild
> takes a long time, then you probably want to continue delivering while
> it goes on (wait=no). If it only takes a minute or two, and your
> server can catch up fairly quickly, you probably want to wait for it
> to complete (wait=yes).
>
> I would go for wait=yes and change it if it causes a problem.
> Otherwise spam will get through during the rebuild.

Hi Julian,

on a related note, is the 'minute or two' rebuild process  a CPU bound
task ? I have a dual PII-450 machine and it takes 3 minutes plus to
rebuild the database (I'd assume this is a single threaded task ?). Will
this improve if I move my mail server to a P4 1.6ghz for example ? are
you aware of any benchmarks for this spamassassin rebuild ?

Cheers,

Brian.