Heads UP: Suspicious file not detected by most virusscanners.

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Fri Jun 3 15:55:59 IST 2005

Stijn Jonker wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just received 2 copies of an mail containing a text that Osama Bin
> Laden was captured, with an attachment of pics.zip (900 bytes).

Just an FYI.  Trend Micro sent this out this morning.  Looks like having
double extension checking on will help filter them out too, if the
name.1.zip pattern is consistant...

...Kevin

Dear Trend Micro customer,

As of June 3, 2005, 1:38 AM PDT (Pacific Daylight Time/GMT -7:00), TrendLabs
has declared a Medium Risk Virus Alert to control the spread of
WORM_BOBAX.P. TrendLabs has received several infection reports indicating
that this malware is spreading in Australia, India, Ireland, Japan, Peru,
Singapore, and the United States.

This memory-resident worm usually arrives on a system as a downloaded file
of TROJ_SMALL.AHE. It spreads by sending a copy of TROJ_SMALL.AHE as an
attachment to an email message that it sends using its own Simple Mail
Transfer Protocol (SMTP) engine.

The message it sends out contains the following details: