Installing ClamAV for the first time

Res res at AUSICS.NET
Fri Jun 3 10:28:36 IST 2005

Hi Quentin,

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Quentin Campbell wrote:

> Am running Red Hat AS3 + Sendmail + MailScanner + SpamAssassin + A-V
> engines.
>
> Where is best source of info/how-to for installing Clam in the above
> environment? Is it better to do a source install (and subsequent
> upgrades) or find a suitable RPM from a third party?

I would grab the source...
also once you've done that, run freshclam manually,
then  cpan -i Mail::ClamAV
check /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf and ensure
clamav         /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper     /usr/local
clamavmodule    /bin/false                              /tmp

THen just check the clamav-wrapper to make sure freshclam can update, you
will have to make a change vi|pico|mcedit /usr/local/etc/clamd.conf
and comment out the Example line and maybe change other things to suite
your taste.
Of course tell MS to use clamavmodule (it's claimed to be faster than just
clamscan on its own, and I would tend to agree)

It's all pretty painless :)
If i've forgotten somthing I'm sure someone else will throw it in...

--
Cheers
Res