Take 2: MailScanner children dying and not picking up new mail

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Thu Jun 2 09:23:03 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2005, at 09:04, Dirk Rieger wrote:
>
>> after removing the razor-agent.log from the postfix-hold-queue the
>> MailScanner doesn't hang anymore. - But now I see an other question:
>> Since I first updated MailScanner a few days ago to a version >
>> 4.40 razor
>> doesn't seem to run anymore at all. At least I don't get new
>> entries to the
>> razor-agent.log or better a new razor-agent.log at all somewhere.
>>
>> Is razor called with the user MailScanner is running with or as root
>> ?
>
> The user MailScanner is running as. It will by default have a .razor
> directory in that user's home directory. Run it in Debug mode with
> Debug SpamAssassin as well and see what is going on.

With postfix running in a chroot jail, your postfix user usually don't
have write permission to its $HOME (and here is where the razor log
error arises from too). There are several ways to rectify this, most
have been covered on this list before... Simply create the dirs and
make them owned by the user, or perhaps better do
su - postfix -s /bin/bash
and then run through discoveries for razor, pyzor and dcc (if you use
'em all:). If you'd like to cron the discoveries, just make sure
they're run as the postfix user.

-- Glenn