MailScanner ANNOUNCE: 4.42.9 released - bug not fixed

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 16:24:49 IST 2005

On 1 Jun 2005, at 15:50, Quentin Campbell wrote:
> Julian
>
> The Spam and MCP actions are shown below. I have interpolated parts of
> the contents of the two spam "Actions" rules file between the "cut
> here"
> lines.
>
> The logged MCP scores are all >= 10.
>

> Spam Actions = %rules-dir%/Spam_Actions.rules
> ------------ cut here
> To:     *@unn.ac.uk                                     deliver
> To:     *@northumbria.ac.uk                             deliver
> To:     *@qeliz.ac.uk                                   deliver
> attachment
> To:     *@stmarys-sfc.ac.uk                             deliver
> attachment
> To:     cccc.dddd at newdur.ac.uk                          deliver
> attachment
> To:     *@newdur.ac.uk                                  deliver
> striphtml
> To:     /aaaa.bbbb\@(ncl|newcastle)\.ac\.uk$/           deliver
> ## DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS LINE - CHANGES WILL BE LOST
> To:     xxxx.yyyy at ncl.ac.uk            delete
> To:     xxxx.yyyy at newcastle.ac.uk               delete
> [hundreds of addresses of the above form]

You can shortcut this by using
To:    /etc/MailScanner/newcastle.addresses    delete
and then put the newcastle addresses, 1 per line into the
newcastle.addresses file.
That should make maintenance rather easier.

> To:     *@*                                     deliver attachment
> ------------ cut here
> High Scoring Spam Actions = %rules-dir%/
> High_Scoring_Spam_Actions.rules
> ------------ cut here
> [similar records to contents of Spam_Actions.rules]
> ------------ cut here
> Non Spam Actions = deliver
>
> MCP Checks = yes
> First Check = mcp
> MCP Required SpamAssassin Score = 1
> MCP High SpamAssassin Score = 10
> MCP Error Score = 1
> MCP Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-MCPCheck:
> Non MCP Actions = deliver
> MCP Actions = deliver
> High Scoring MCP Actions = delete

Your High-scoring MCP threshold is 10, but what are the scores of the
MCP rules you are using? Are they 10 or above, or below? I haven't
yet seen evidence that the High-scoring MCP threshold is actually
reached.