off topic: postfix and email to multiple recipients

Pete Russell pete at ENITECH.COM.AU
Tue Jul 26 15:01:28 IST 2005

Dhawal Doshy wrote:
 > Pete Russell wrote:
 >
 >> Hi Steve, dod yuou ever resolve this issue with postfix? I am really
 >> keen to fix this.
 >>
 >> I ran the smtpd_recipient_limit = 1 for a few weeks but a number of
 >> hosts start failing to send untill you increase the limit :(
 >>
 >> Any other ideas for fixing this in postfix?
 >>
 >> Heres hoping
 >> Pete
 >>

 > This was discussed earlier without any conclusions and you were a part
 > of the thread..
Yeah i know, thats why i raised it again.

 > One possible way i see it being done is a hack to split messages per
 > recipient after being deposited in the hold directory. A separate
 > process will pickup messages from /var/spool/postfix/hold, effectively
 > split them and then put them in another hold directory say
 > /var/spool/postfix/holdms (which can be used as the postfix incoming dir
 > parameter in MS.conf). Perhaps a plugin / custom function that can do
 > this (any perl gurus wanting to work on this?)??
 >
 > In any case i see an increase in resources used since it'll require:
 > a. resources to effectively split the message and create an unique
 > queue-id for each message.
 > b. logging this split to syslog (IO)
 > c. to move messages (more IO)
 > d. MailScanner to work on more messages
 >
 > This functionality is also a TODO for amavisd-new (check towards the end
 > of this page http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/TODO.txt)
 >
 > Your best bet is to try what Ugo is doing.. evaluate exim ;-)

Personally i dont have a huge volume so i can deal with the extra load.
I think that
http://memberwebs.com/nielsen/software/proxsmtp/postfix.html
instructions with content filter that does nothing, combined with the
correct 'transport'_destination_recipient_limit=1 would allow postfix to
  receive bulk addressed email on smtpd, content filter, returned to the
queue as individual messages?

Yes, i am off to install exim (and RTFM)on my notebook now :(