Problem Getting MailScanner running on Cobalt RAQ 4 w/ updated OS

Kai Schaetzl maillists at CONACTIVE.COM
Tue Jul 26 13:31:25 IST 2005

Alan Davies wrote on         Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:38:19 -0700:

> You appear to have 2 versions of Perl installed,
> the normal one in /usr/bin and one in /usr/local.

If they are in two distinct directories, that's good. You can run *this*
perl or *that* perl. You should have the old Perl at /usr/bin/perl and the
new one at /usr/local/perl or /usr/local/bin/perl. Is it like this? If so
that means you have to call the "second" perl with the complete path if
you want to use it. Or you can put a symlink at /usr/bin/perl2 f.i. to
call it that way or replace the original /usr/bin/perl (which could break
other things on your RAQ, though, so I wouldn't do that).

> This often happens if you have used CPAN to install modules.
> I strongly advise you remove all traces of perl from
> within /usr/local and then run this script again.
>
> If you do not want to do that, and really want to continue,
> then you will need to run this script as
>        ./install.sh ignore-perl

Hm, I don't know what that does but it seems to ignore the "second" perl,
so it doesn't make a difference that you installed a newer one. ;-) I
don't know how to tell MailScanner to use a specific Perl. Julian might be
able to tell this. Or it's explained somewhere in the install documents, I
never had this problem, so I don't know.

>         MailScanner:       Can't locate bytes.pm in @INC (@INC
> contains: /usr/lib/MailScanner /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 . /usr/lib/MailScanner) at
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Log.pm line 139.

As you can see, that's still all the "old" directories, so your freshly
installed Perl doesn't get used. You obviously installed Net::CIDR, so
that MailScanner doesn't bark anymore about this. Now you hit the next
missing module or file. I don't know what "bytes.pm" is. You have to
identify which package it belongs to. Did you install all MailScanner
prerequisites? This are at least all the rpm packages coming in the rpm
distribution files. Either install these rpms (if advisable on your RAQ, I
don't know) or install the modules via CPAN. (You can get info about the
modules within the cpan shell with "m modulename", "b bundlename" etc.,
very easy. For identification of modules or even contained files you can
search the database at cpan.perl.org. Each time you hit a missing
module/file you have to check if you can install it. With some of them
there won't be any other choice of renewing the Perl installation as well.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany