per-worker SQL in a Custom Function ?

paddy paddy at PANICI.NET
Mon Jul 25 20:32:05 IST 2005

Hi,

I've been looking at the MailWatch.pm in mailwatch-1.0.1.
(I'm aware of the history, but may not have entirely understood)

I got to wondering ...

Why not just a have a persistent connection per worker?

Through trial and error, it seems to me that if I make my connection

	$dbh = DBI->connect(<parameters here>)

then $dbh will be defined for the rest of the lifetime of the thread,
but that it will only $dbh->ping for the remainder of the batch.
This with only one worker: same pid for different batches, no
other workers.

I haven't yet figured out what happens at the end of the batch.

Can anyone fill me in?

Very likely its just something silly in my code.
I can post or email it if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall