Attachment Question

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jul 23 15:07:25 IST 2005

This should only happen if the virus is not a "Non-Forging Virus". If it
is a "Silent Virus" then the whole message will be thrown away.

If you put the virus name (or just a part of it such as "OF97/") in the
"Non-Forging Viruses" list in MailScanner.conf, then the rest of the
message will be delivered, including the uninfected attachments. The
string to put in the "Non-Forging Viruses" setting differs between
different scanners as they use different naming schemes. OF97/ is common
to the names of Microsoft Office 97 viruses given by Sophos. Your
scanner will probably need something else, perhaps just "WM97" or similar.

MailScanner does always try to deliver as much of the message as it can.
And I just checked this and it is working fine. Most other virus
scanners will always throw away the whole message whatever was wrong
with it. MailScanner is better than that and will attempt to deliver a
clean version of the message if at all possible, controlled of course by
the configuration settings you use.

Narpender Bawa wrote:

>Scott, Thanks very much for you answer to my second question. But i am
>still looking for an answer to the first where three file attachments (one
>a .pdf, another a .doc and the third a .zip) were sent. The mail scanner
>found problem with the .zip file and it quarantined it but did not deliver
>even the other two attachments (.pdf and .doc files).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Narpender
>

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Scott Silva wrote:
>

>>Narpender Bawa spake the following on 7/22/2005 1:44 PM:
>>

>>>An  internal user sent an email message that contained a number of
>>>attachments (.pdf, .txt, and .zip). The .zip file had a javascript (.js)
>>>file, so the mail scanner quarantined the .zip file which is OK. However,
>>>the recepient did not get the remaining attachments, even the ones that
>>>passed the scanning. Is it possible to configure the mail scanner to allow
>>>delivery of rest of the attached files and quarantine only the ones that
>>>have a problem?  On a different note, is it possible to quarantine a (.pif
>>>or .scr or .js) file contained in a .zip file and allow delivery of the rest
>>>of the files contained in the same .zip file.
>>>
>>>Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>
>>>Narpender
>>>

>>MailScanner doesn't fix archive files, it just unpacks the attachments
>>so they can be scanned. You can only allow or deny files, or tell it to
>>not check in archives.

>Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and

Julian Field