How to investigate timeouts?

Milo Hoffman hoff.milo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:47:43 IST 2005

On 7/18/05, Jody Cleveland <Cleveland at winnefox.org> wrote:
> > Why don't you set both destiny and mystique as MX for your
> > domain(s)?  I
> > don't see the point of double-scanning...
>
> Oh, I do. Mystique is only there in case something happens to destiny.
> But, I'm noticing message headers that say mystique.winnefox.org. but,
> yet that server is fine. It's as if there's a timeout on those messages.
> But, I'm not sure what to look for in the logs to see what's happening.

Oh this thread is rather confusing now !

I am just trying to reframe your words to make myself clearer about your problem

1) You mean to say you have Destiny as the primary MX and Mystique as
the secondary MX ?
When mail hits on Destiny some problem oocurs (it can be a connection
time out or a busy server ) and  the mail goes to Mystique instead.
But in normal scenarios when there is no load or much traffic on the
server you are observing that the mail still goes to mystique.

2) Is Destiny and Mystique directly available on the Internet via MX
records or you have some kind of load balancer which redirects the
mails to Mystique incase Destiny is overload.

I know I have repeated a lot of stuff over here again and again, but
trying to make myself clear.

Milo