Sophos and Encrypted Attachments

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Tue Jul 19 19:22:00 IST 2005

I've been getting complaints of encrypted attachments being rejected by
SophosSAVI because they are encrypted.  I've added a ruleset to allow
encrypted attachments from certain domains and added a "Sophos Allowed Error
Messages" entry for "File was encrypted", but they are still rejected.

Jul 18 09:37:55 avwall2 MailScanner[26790]: SophosSAVI::ERROR:: File was
encrypted (530):: ./j6IEbXCt027886/Cing 615 @ McMullen.xls
Jul 18 20:29:11 avwall2 MailScanner[31191]: SophosSAVI::ERROR:: File was
encrypted (530):: ./j6J1So5V000931/20050718155617H0004711.PDF

These attachments must be encrypted to comply with the Graham-Leach-Bliley
Act here in the US.  I think my last resort is to not virus scan emails from
specified email addresses, but I'd hate to have a forging virus come through
using one of these whitelisted email addresses.  Did I miss something
elsewhere in my config?

Mike