BIND vs ncsd

Kai Schaetzl maillists at CONACTIVE.COM
Sat Jul 16 17:31:24 IST 2005

Dhawal Doshy wrote on         Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:15:37 +0530:

> can we extend this thread into a healthy discussion (and not another
> holy war) based on our personal experiences and benchmarks?

I used dnsmasq quite successful for some time on several of our machines.
With one machine running it and the others using it as first dns. dnsmasq
is very lightweight and used in many linux-based gateway/router
"appliances" as the DHCP and dns caching server but not widely known to
the public.
http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

It seemed to run better than nscd, but I don't have any benchmarks against
it or other caching servers. One thing notable about nscd is that it has a
tendency to suddenly vanish for unknown reasons, so it needs to be
restarted from time to time (can be once a day, once a month, or never,
quite unexpectedly).

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany