Virus-scanning spam

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jul 9 13:52:46 IST 2005

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>Craig Daters wrote on         Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:10:15 -0700:
>

>>I take this option to mean that any message that scans positive for a
>>virus/worm/whatever is either kept with the message, or not based on
>>this setting. In my situation, the message is immediately being flagged
>>as spam, and no virus checks are being performed.
>>

>This should change if you set this to yes.
>This option is new, I mean it's been added after I read the
>MailScanner.conf from beginning to end last time ;-) I think if you set
>this option to yes it will *not* stop scanning after it was found to be
>spam and will find the virus. Since it is then flagged as a virus
>Mailwatch won't give you an option to release it. Jules?

Don't know about the MailWatch bit at the end (I'm no expert on that,
ask on the MailWatch list). But otherwise you are right. By not virus
scanning spam, you can save a lot of work. But by scanning it, you can
forward mis-tagged messages to users safe in the knowledge that they
aren't infected.

--
Julian Field