Win32.Netsky.P slipping through.

Tony Enderby tenderby at VHIA.COM.AU
Fri Jul 8 07:11:50 IST 2005

I'm not so sure that's the case Julian, sending a message remotely via a
network that's not part of any ruleset exemptions with the infected
attachment but via a different mail client results in the mail being picked
up correctly.   Is there anything else I should have a look at that may be
causing it? .. they have only been coming through since my upgrade to
4.43.8 last night.

             Julian Field
             <MailScanner at ECS.
             SOTON.AC.UK>                                               To
             Sent by:                  MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
             MailScanner                                                cc
             mailing list
             <MAILSCANNER at JISC                                     Subject
             MAIL.AC.UK>               Re: Win32.Netsky.P slipping
                                       through.

             08/07/2005 04:03
             PM

             Please respond to
                MailScanner
               mailing list
             <MAILSCANNER at JISC
                MAIL.AC.UK>

Almost certainly because you have rulesets in place that stop this
detection taking place.

On 8 Jul 2005, at 06:45, Tony Enderby wrote:

> Greetings Folks,
>
> I have noticed a few messages slipping past mailscanner file type
> detection
> and AV scan today but being blocked by spamassassin
>
> The attachment type varies between .wav and .pif sometimes with
> heaps of
> white space in the filename
>
> i.e document.txt
> .pif
>
> I have noticed that if I take the infected attachment from
> quarantine and
> resend via the mailscanner box, that the attachment is picked up and
> detected as a virus / bad content.
>
> Could anyone shed some light on why these may be slipping through
> mailscanner when sent from external sources.
> MS version is 4.43.8 and I'm running Clam AV and Bit Defender.    A
> copy of
> the headers from one of the messages in question below.
> In this particular instance, the attachment was a .wav file but
> most of the
> others have been .pif
>
> Any help would be welcomed.
>
> Tony.