OT: Postfix pre-MailScanner Policy Daemon

Tue Jul 5 14:35:53 IST 2005

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Drew Marshall wrote on         Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:46:09 +0100:
>

>>No sorry, you misunderstood me. What I meant was not suggest that
>>MailScanner does anything with the SMTP transaction but to suggest an
>>option for Postfix users to lighten MailScanner's load in a more subtle
>>way than the usual 'one RBL and you are out' technique of Postfix's RBL
>>look up system.
>

> Oh, I see, yes, certainly to be recommended.
>
>  I like it because it reduces the chance of FP. Even if
>
>>one of your best customers or suppliers etc does get themselves listed
>>in a RBL they won't get rejected as the points score will still let them
>>through (Provided they have set their MTA up correctly). The other half
>>of this is that I wouldn't use it by it's self, hence it is a supplement
>>to MailScanner not a replacement or alternative etc.
>

> Well, I'm referring more to the additional checks it does. Especially the
> HELO check is quite useful (although an RFC violation to refuse on it). It
> blocks most mail worms and such. However, I don't think that scoring
> doesn't help much here. If I don't trust an RBL I simply don't use it. If a
> communications partner gets listed, well, obviously for a reason, f.i.
> their relay was open or whatever. I can just let them get in with an OK
> entry in my local access db - if I want. The sooner they clear this up the
> better.
> We use three RBLs (spamhaus, sorbs and njabl - the latter doesn't add much,
> I could just remove it) and the "FP" rate (FP in quotes because actually
> they are not FPs) is extremely low (1 in 10.000 or less). If I get too many
> FPs I'd simply drop the "offending" RBL. WE also reject on HELO and wrong
> MAIL FROM and message ids and our own access db.
> The beauty in this approach is that *one* "hit" is enough. It's quite
> typical that this kind of mail hits only one or two of the above criteria.
> But they all are spam, the FP rate is very very low. And if someone wants
> to send me a legitimate mail from a misconfigured mail server, well, I
> expect him to fix his server. So, with a scoring system you will miss a
> *lot* of these, but gain *almost* nothing in regard to battling FPs.
> Scoring by mail content is *much different* because there are simply no
> single criteria that a mail is spam. (Although a SURBL listing and also a
> BAYES_99 from a well-trained db may be accurate enough to use them as the
> single criterion. However, these are more or less dependant on the
> "history" of SA. Using scoring in SA betters your recognition ratio a lot,
> but it doesn't much for RBLs and other technical checks on MTA level.
>

> Kai

Another option I use is to only allow in valid email addresses and the
MTA. I drop over 70% of my email that way..and don't get any FP's from
RBLs ;-)

Yes in theory you are open to email guessing attacks, but then my SA and
  MS are very well setup so this doesn't add much risk :-)

No idea how you do this in PF as I run Exim....

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.