OT: Postfix pre-MailScanner Policy Daemon

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Mon Jul 4 20:46:09 IST 2005

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

 Drew Marshall wrote on         Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:32:21 +0100:

 Well worth a look as a supplement to MS.

 Not really. MS cannot check or rejct at MTA level. ONly the MTA can.

No sorry, you misunderstood me. What I meant was not suggest that
MailScanner does anything with the SMTP transaction but to suggest an
option for Postfix users to lighten MailScanner's load in a more subtle
way than the usual 'one RBL and you are out' technique of Postfix's RBL
look up system. I like it because it reduces the chance of FP. Even if
one of your best customers or suppliers etc does get themselves listed in
a RBL they won't get rejected as the points score will still let them
through (Provided they have set their MTA up correctly). The other half
of this is that I wouldn't use it by it's self, hence it is a supplement
to MailScanner not a replacement or alternative etc.

 There's a sendmail.cf hack for sendmail available for about ten years
doing what http://robtone.mine.nu/postfix/ does, it just doesn't score,
but that's not important in this case.

I think the scoring piece is important as it makes it more reliable but
that's IMHO :-)

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for
viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is