MailScanner ANNOUNCE: Stable 4.43.7 released

Kai Schaetzl maillists at CONACTIVE.COM
Sat Jul 2 15:31:22 IST 2005

Observations from the upgrade after running upgrade_MailScanner_conf:

> Summary
> -------
> Read 258 settings from old MailScanner.conf
> Used 258 settings from old MailScanner.conf
> Used 1 default settings from new MailScanner.conf.rpmnew

It turns out that actually was the change of the version no. That's something of a
"false alert". I suggest either adding something like "if only one default setting was
used it's likely to be the version no" or handling it different, anyway.

> If you ran this with a command like this
>   upgrade_MailScanner_conf MailScanner.conf MailScanner.conf.rpmnew > MailScanne r.new
> then you should do
>   diff MailScanner.conf.rpmnew MailScanner.new
> and check for any differences in values you have not changed yourself.

Shouldn't this be:

diff MailScanner.conf MailScanner.new

?

Apart from this it seems that the update script munged a lot of lines which didn't have
a value, example:

n8:/etc/MailScanner # diff MailScanner.conf MailScanner.new
105c105
< Run As User =
---
> Run As User =
110c110
< Run As Group =
---
> Run As Group =
197,198c197,198
< Incoming Work User =
< Incoming Work Group =
---
> Incoming Work User =
> Incoming Work Group =
556c556

and so on. This makes it harder to detect the actual differences. I think there may be a
difference in the linebreaks, although there shouldn't be one. I edit MailScanner.conf
on Windows, but my editor is configured to use Unix lineends. And I transfer it via scp
and no lineend translation occurs. So, there shouldn't be a difference unless the update
adds/removes whitespace.
Anyway, man diff tells me I can use -w to ignore whitespace and, indeed, it shrinks the
output down to the real changes. Maybe suggest "diff -w" in the help as a default?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany