AV for Windows Clients with Central Admin? {Virus Scanned}

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Fri Jul 1 18:27:54 IST 2005

Jason Balicki wrote:

>Mark Nienberg <> wrote:
>

>>I wonder if they are saying that because they assume your Central
>>Install Directory (CID) is on the same machine that runs the
>>Enterprise Manager and they don't want to encourage you to violate
>>Microsoft's maximum or 10 connections to a workstation.  In my case,
>>

>That's what I assumed as well.  However, on the page
>that they sent me a link to, it implies that you would
>be in violation of Microsoft licensing by just running
>it on a workstation.  I'm going to run it this way
>until my subscription runs out, and by then they'll
>either fix this issue, make a true management tool
>for Linux or I'll find another vendor.  I'd hate
>to do that, since I like Sophos so much.
>
>I have the same setup as you:  CIDs are on the Samba server
>and the EM runs on my personal workstation.
>
>Here's the link they sent me:
>
>http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/2577.html

I see.  There is a distinction between the EM Library and the Enterprise
Console.  You can use EM Library to update the CID without violating the
10 connection rule as long as the CID is not on a workstation.  It's the
Console application that you shouldn't run from a workstation.  I
haven't ever used that part anyway, as the setup seemed too
complicated.  Thanks for that link.  I need to start thinking about this
too.

--
Mark Nienberg, SE
Tipping Mar + associates