OT: Linux passwd/shadow files

Rodney Green rgreen at TRAYERPRODUCTS.COM
Fri Jan 28 20:00:50 GMT 2005

Rodney Green wrote:
> Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>
>> Rodney Green wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to copy the passwd and shadow passwd files from one Linux
>>> machine to another to duplicate the user accounts from one server on the
>>> other? It's something I haven't done before and was wondering if it
>>> would just work. I need to setup a temp mail server so I can work on the
>>> production mail server without interrupting service.
>>>

>> Rod,
>>
>> Sure can do.  But make sure the 2 boxes have the same Linux release
>> because some accounts do change from time to time.
>>
>> I'd also recommend rebooting the server after swapping the passwd/shadow
>> files... just in case...
>>
>> Denis
>>

> Thanks Denis! Both machines have the same Linux release so I'm good to
> go with that. This will be a lot easier than having to setup all of the
> accounts on the temp server.
>
> Rod

Denis,

I copied the shadow and the passwd files, just those two files, to the
temp server and rebooted. I wasn't able to logon after that. I ran the
Red Hat rescue and restored the original passwd and shadow files and can
now logon again. Were there other files that needed to be copied too?

Thanks again,
Rod

believed to be clean.