Reject emails to nonexistent addresses?

Gib Gilbertson Jr. gib at TMISNET.COM
Fri Jan 28 11:23:44 GMT 2005

Hi.

At 11:05 AM 1/28/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>I think you should be using virtusertable, instead of the access.
>
>Access:
>
>TO:ourdomain.com        RELAY
>TO:ourdomain.de RELAY
>
>Virusertable:
>
>username1 at ourdomain.com !
>username2 at ourdomain.de  !
>@ourdomain.com          error:5.1.1:"550 User unknown"
>@ourdomain.de           error:5.1.1:"550 User unknown"
>
>Your mailertable seems alright.
>
>Adri.

The easiest thing to do is install and use milter-ahead with sendmail. It
will check ahead to the mail server and accept mail for processing if there
is an account on the other server, and reject if there isn't.

My mail gateway was handling about 35,000 pieces of mail a day with
virtually all of it being addressed to non-existent users at hosted domains
on other servers. Once I installed milter-ahead and did away with catchall
addresses on the hosted sites this dropped to about 6,000 pieces a day.

My 2 cents worth.

gib

      Gib Gilbertson Jr.
     Tierramiga Info Systems