mqueue.in and mqueue

Chris Conn cconn at ABACOM.COM
Thu Jan 27 18:43:50 GMT 2005

Hello,

I would like to get around this error:

MailScanner[11532]: /var/spool/mqueue.in & /var/spool/mqueue
  must be on the same filesystem/partition!

I would like to run the mqueue.in partition in a tmpfs, in order to
reduce IO slowdowns.

Can someone educate me as to why the two must reside on the same
partition or filesystem?  What is the reasoning behind this (I don't
want to generalize it as a limitation, but in my case it certainly feels
that way)?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Conn