OT: SPF query and a new spin on an old thread (Exchange/Notes)

Pentland G. G.Pentland at SOTON.AC.UK
Wed Jan 26 11:37:23 GMT 2005

All,

MailScanner is very good, as we all know, but it does take time to
execute :-(

As I have limited hardware resources I have been looking at ways of
either...

1. Moving stuff round the Spam checks, I don't have time to maintain a
white list  or...

2. Rejecting more stuff before MailScanner sees it.

   Trouble is management types (pointy hair) don't like DNS blacklists
as one false positive = one irate user!

I was wondering about SPF, I think I'm going to have to build support
for it anyway but do any of you use it?  How well does it work?

The new spin on the old thread.

In the past people have asked about putting sendmail and MailScanner in
front of an Exchange/Notes server and rejecting invalid recipients.
There is a how-to in the MailScanner FAQ and it does work but I'm
working on a new sendmail build and early testing would imply the
Milter-ahead works really well for this purpose although this is not the
reason I was looking at it.

http://www.milter.info/milter-ahead/index.shtml

Not for the faint hearted, if you don't like compiling and messing with
.mc files or you don't know what that means then maybe not worth looking
but if you do then have a look.

Gary