Definately worth the effort: Making sendmail only accept mail to genuine Exchange users

John P. Lang john at LANGHERD.COM
Wed Jan 26 06:52:00 GMT 2005

This has made all the difference in the world!  We scan mail for 4
domains (3 exchange servers and local mailboxes)

We were processing over 2700 pieces of mail per day.  The majority of it
was dictionary style spews.

This simple change dropped us down to only processing about 300 pieces of
mail through Mail Scanner.  The reject graph went through the roof in
MailWatch.

Whoever wrote that FAQ entry deserves a huge pat on the back!  Thanks.

We did have to modify the configs a bit, as we send to the 3 different
exchange servers plus localhost.  It was pretty easy though.  I just pipe
the text files into a mysql database using PHP,

The table has

Emailaddress    FQDN of exchange

fred at domain1.com        mail.domain1.com

joe at domain2.com         mail.domain2.com

me at localdomain.com    localhost

I then output this via PHP again to the whitelist-address.txt file -> to
the mailhost.db for sendmail to use.

Thanks again for the tutorial and THANKS for MailScanner….

BTW, the book is great!

John