Exchange and duplicate message-id with quarantine.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 18:35:31 GMT 2005

Hirsh, Joshua wrote:

>>What are your "Spam Actions". If you use "notify" then the
>>message-id is
>>generated by the MTA, and should therefore always be unique.
>>

> I run into the same problem here. The default timeout in Exchange is one
>hour, after which, the server will gladly accept and deliver the messages.
>
> Julian: The problem is with an email that has an attachment removed or
>blocked. The cleaned messages is sent on to the user and if you were to
>release the blocked content (stored as a raw queue file) within an hour of
>originally receiving the message, Exchange silently blocks it out as being a
>duplicate.

Okay, I see the problem now. However I don't really want to change the
message-id of the cleaned message as I try to play with them as little
as possible, and also if I do that then the message-id format won't
match with the MUA that claimed to generate the message, which means it
will get caught as spam by SpamAssassin which checks these things.

So the only real solution is to change the message-id of the quarantined
message as you send it. But I understand that is also hard if you are
storing it as raw queue files.

Got any ideas on potential solutions to this? I can't see any solution
that wouldn't potentially break things further down stream, or make it
very awkward to track mail using the Message-Id header, which is A Bad
Thing(tm).

--
Julian Field