Reject emails to nonexistent addresses?

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Mon Jan 17 20:34:00 GMT 2005

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/chk-810.html

-----Original Message-----
Of Fractal IT Dept.
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 2:15 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Reject emails to nonexistent addresses?

Rick Gutlon wrote:

>Chris:
>
>If you are dealing with a manageable and fairly stable list of users
>another option is to control this via sendmail's access.db file. Works
>great for us smaller guys :)
>
>The following convention was suggested by someone on this list awhile
>back which we implemented quite
>successfully:
>
>TO:username1 at yourdomain.com     RELAY
>TO:username2 at yourdomain.com     RELAY
>TO:yourdomain.com               ERROR:5.1.1:550 User
>unknown
>
>The above will accept mail for valid users and reject all unknowns
>before the mail is passed to MailScanner.
>This cut back on a huge amount of overhead for us. The last line could
>be changed from ERROR to DISCARD if you wanted the unknowns to hit the
>bit bucket.
>
>One caveat ... if you use the above you have to account for all aliases
>access file including misc.
>items such as postmaster, abuse, etc.
>
>Just some food for thought ...

Rick,

That is a really interesting option. I haven't been able to find anything in
the sendmail documentation that gives "TO:" as an option, although there is
a ton of documentation and perhaps I missed it. Do I need to rebuild the map
file after doing this? Can you provide a web link that will give further
details, as I googled unsuccessfully because one cannot use "to" as a seach
word.

Thanks,
Chris

Before posting, read the MAQ (http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/) and the