temporary file spawning

Ade Fewings ade at INFORMATICS.BANGOR.AC.UK
Fri Jan 14 19:14:57 GMT 2005

Denis Beauchemin wrote:

> Ade Fewings wrote:
>
>> Julian Field wrote:

>>> Advise you try increasing
>>> SpamAssassin Timeout
>>> in MailScanner.conf.
>>>
>> Thanks for this guidance, but it hasn't worked.  I quadrupled the
>> SpamAssassin timeout and got the same behaviour.  Additionally, I have
>> had the chance to see a bad MailScanner process in action when things
>> are going wrong.  The whole process of creating a couple of hundred
>> thousand takes less than twenty seconds and truss'ing the process itself
>> shows endless pages of the following sprawling past very quickly:
>>
>> open64("/tmp/spamassassin.19296.zEQAlU.tmp",
>> O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = 256
>> close(256)                                      = 0
>> open64("/tmp/spamassassin.19296.6s0hxi.tmp",
>> O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = 256
>> close(256)                                      = 0
>> open64("/tmp/spamassassin.19296.4c61CQ.tmp",
>> O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = 256
>> close(256)                                      = 0
>> open64("/tmp/spamassassin.19296.uPHYoK.tmp",
>> O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = 256
>> close(256)                                      = 0
>>

> Ade,
>
> Anything wrong with /tmp permissions?  Mine (on Linux) looks like:
> ls -ld /tmp
> drwxrwxrwt   14 root     root        16384 jan 14 13:58 /tmp/
>
> Denis

Denis,

There doesn't appear to be:

drwxrwxrwt   3 root     sys          256 Jan 14 19:08 tmp

The group being sys is normal for Solaris and all our machines have
always used that.

The problem only seems to occur when one of the mail servers comes under
a bit of a load, such as a mailing list type thing.  I watched the
incoming queues go up to 600 on each server earlier and things were
fine.  In both servers, MailScanner was going fine until the incoming
mail queue got down to between 250-300 and then it behaved as above and
I had to restart and (unfortunately) pass some mail without running
SpamAssassin over it as the problem kept occurring if I cleaned /tmp and
restarted MailScanner.

I'm thinking of trying a new Perl build now......really have no other
ideas left.

Thanks
Ade

Ade Fewings MEng

School of Informatics, University of Wales, Bangor,
Dean Street, Bangor, Gwynedd. LL57 1UT. UK.

ade at informatics.bangor.ac.uk  www.informatics.bangor.ac.uk/~ade
Tel: +44 (0)1248 382736       Fax: +44 (0)1248 361429