Dovecot - pop-before-smtp

Wess Bechard mailscanner at ELIQUID.COM
Thu Jan 13 15:06:36 GMT 2005

Marcel,

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but consider using smtp
authentication with cyrus-sasl or similar software.

I have been using pop-before-smtp with MS and postfix for over 6 months
now.  Pop-before-smtp has given me so many problems that I have been
forced to dump it.  The perl and C versions randomly crash for me after a
few hours.

Cyrus-SASL is a great solution, and is much more secure, especially if
you have remote users.