temporary file spawning

Ade Fewings ade at INFORMATICS.BANGOR.AC.UK
Wed Jan 12 16:07:58 GMT 2005

Dear all

Forgive me straight away if any of this has been answered before or is
stupid on my part.  Going through a bit of a baptism-of-fire at the
moment with regard to mail servers.

We have two mail servers running on Solaris 9 Sparc.  Sendmail 8.12.10
utilizing MailScanner 4.36.4 to call SpamAssassin 3.0.1.  Earlier today, one of our large mailing lists got hit a couple of times and the servers got a bit busy.  However, something went wrong and /tmp filled up with
spamassassin.25755.Bdgxlb.tmp esque files.  Hundred of thousands were
created in a short time, running /tmp out of i-nodes and thus effectively stopping MailScanner.

Killing MailScanner, cleaning /tmp and restarting would then reproduce the problem again soon after.  I truss'd the output of a few of the MailScanner processes that were going bad and all they were doing was trying to open new files in /tmp.

Before my time, SA 2.6 was running and never provided any problems.  Has
anybody got any ideas?  Are we thinking MailScanner or SA bugs
possibly?  We certainly are intending to get to SA 3.0.2, but there was
some problem on out first attempt yesterday so we're stuck on 3.0.1 for
a bit.

Regards and Thanks

Ade