Notification messages failing

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAINSURANCE.COM
Tue Jan 11 21:04:21 GMT 2005

Diane Rolland wrote:
> I'm testing MailScanner and I'm getting the following rejected message
> sent back to the postmaster for Notification mesasges...
>
> I can send emails successfully to this account, but the Notification
> messages get rejected.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Diane
>
> The original message was received at Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:34:10 -0600
> from localhost [127.0.0.1]
> with id j09MYAcI009862

> <drolland at kdinet.com>
>     (reason: 550 Administrative prohibition)

> ... while talking to kdinet.com.mail5.psmtp.com.:
> <<< 550 Administrative prohibition
>
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
>
> [-- Attachment #2 --]
> [-- Type: message/delivery-status, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 0.3K --]
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; prsvr02.km-law.local
> Arrival-Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:34:10 -0600
>
> Final-Recipient: RFC822; drolland at kdinet.com
> Action: failed
> Remote-MTA: DNS; kdinet.com.mail5.psmtp.com
> Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Administrative prohibition
> Last-Attempt-Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:34:12 -0600

Diane,
This could be a restriction caused by rules on the MTA, or it could be a
permissions thing. I am assuming from your post in the ClamAV group a couple
days ago that you are using Postfix? If so, double-check the settings in
MailScanner.conf, especially the Systems Settings section (near the top) and
the Notices to System Administrators section (nearer the bottom). I don't
use Postfix so I'll have to defer to someone else who does for detailed
settings, however, the comments are pretty clear. Don't give up, there are a
few here who use Postfix successfully and I'm sure you'll get the help you
need.

It may be helpful to include your specific configuration and maybe a snippet
of your MailScanner.conf (System Settings) to get a more detailed response.

Kind regards,
Ken

Ken Goods
Network Administrator