AV Update Logging to SysLog

Kyle Harris lists at TRCINTL.COM
Tue Jan 11 19:11:00 GMT 2005

I have a small script I put together a while back that looks through the mail log and gives me some basic information such as when the AV's that I'm running last updated and what viruses each AV has found.  It is very similar to Vispan only it runs from the command line and gives very basic, daily information.  Anyway, I recently discovered that some of the MailScanner autoupdate scripts do not write to the SysLog (my script looks for these entries).  I use ClamAV, eTrust, and BitDefender.
ClamAV (and eTrust) write something such as follows to the maillog:

 Found clamav installed
 Running autoupdate for clamav
 ClamAV did not need updating (or ClamAV updated, if that is the case)

However, the BitDefender autoupdate script writes nothing to the maillog file.  I took a look at some of the other autoupdate scripts and it appears that there are others that don't write to the SysLog.

For the sake of continuity, anyone else think it would be a good idea for them to all log updates in a similar manner?  In the event the answer is yes, I took a look at the BitDefender autoupdate that comes with MailScanner and found it to be a bit difficult to follow.  I then had a look at the clamav-autoupdate script that Julian originally wrote and I found it quite easy to modify it to work with BitDefender.  I have attached that script to this message in case it would be of use to anyone else, and it does log updates to SysLog.  I believe it is a bit cleaner than the original script, however I have done limited testing of it.

Thoughts?

Kyle H.