Logrotate and MailScanner

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Tue Jan 11 10:34:25 GMT 2005

Um, no... That is generally not how it's done. True,
logrotate is run from cron, but the only time you need
inform cron is when you add logrotate as such, not when you
change logrotate.conf (ex: on most linux distros the logrotate
command is run from a script in /etc/cron.daily (which are run
by the runparts thing), and is invoked like
logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
... which would lead to changes to that file (or any file it
references) to be automatically included).

What is needed is to either change a preexisting entry for
syslogd files (ex: many linux distros would have that in
/etc/logrotate.d/syslogd), or creating one.

-- Glenn