custom inline signatures and RBL feedback

Vlad Mazek vlad at MAZEK.COM
Mon Jan 10 18:00:21 GMT 2005

> Can I ask why you want this, and what you are trying to achieve?

Its more of a political issue than technical accomplishment but becuase
of the size and the number of different clients we have it comes up more
often than I'd like to admit it. I don't stand behind these requests or
acknowledge that they make sense -- I just need to execute them.

1) Certain users require different signatures and mail actions depending
on their department membership or job function. For example, certain
marketing departments are required to include disclaimers about the
message/product. Law firms and stock brokerages need to include
additional timestamps when the message is processed at the mail server
for an employee that deals with customers but not for marketing/etc that
deal with other businesses (ie, when is the transaction confirmation
sent out of the network).

2) Certain users and companies require different signatures depending on
the time of the day the message is relayed. They use third party chat/im
software that indicates their chat availability so if the message is
sent during the business hours the chat/online link is included in the
signature.

3) Most users want to inline the senders IP address, email address, etc
so that the recipients can easilly see where the message came from
without looking at the message headers. Although I've explained that
this can be easilly spoofed I think we can use a link in combination
with sql logging to provide an additional level of
authenticity/verification.

... and other general requests like signatures, fortunes, etc. We're
seeing a bigger and bigger trend in enterprises where they are looking
to move more of the functions to the mail server and turn their mail
client into a dumb mail reading/writing terminal. This despite their $$$
investments in tools like Outlook/Exchange which most people are finding
hard to use.

-Vlad