Archiving Mail

Wess Bechard mailscanner at ELIQUID.COM
Mon Jan 10 17:34:57 GMT 2005

Craig,

I forgot to mention that all my users and quota management are done via
MySQL.

If you are worried about disk space, IMAP does build up.  You don't have
to have everyone on IMAP, as you can put important email on IMAP and
others on POP.

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 12:28, Craig Daters wrote:

 Wess Bechard wrote:
> [...]
>
>> /Hello Everyone. We have been using MailScanner for a couple of years
>>now, and I must say that it is great! My company has been steadily
>>growing larger and larger, and we do business with quite a few people
>>via email. Our clients, upon seeing some sort of proof from us, will
>>give us an okay to print via email, and the need to archive mail for a
>>sort of paper trail when disputes arise has always been in the back of
>>our mind.
>>
>>We have about 4 or 5 people who deal with these clients, and they hang
>>onto their mail for a couple of months before deleting everything.
>>Sometimes we instances come up where if we had the email, we would have
>>gotten paid for the job, but unfortunately was deleted.
>>
>>I have been trying to work out a solution using MailScanner to archive a
>>months worth of mail, tar it up and burn these off to CD or something.
>>
>>We have one MailServer, sitting on the Internet side of our firewall,
>>that all of our 20+ employees who have email, check via POP3.
>>
>>Installed along side of MailScanner is MailWatch, SpamAssassin, ClamAV,
>>ViSpan, and SquirrelMail
>>
>>I am curious to know if anyone is currently, or has considered, setting
>>up some sort of archiving action and how you may have approached it?
>>Does anyone have any thoughts or guidance.
>>
>>I have looked through the FAQ's and am working my mind through the
>>"Archive Mail =" configuration so as to set up some sort of streamlined
>>process to maybe backup mail for these 4 or 5 users weekly, then all the
>>weeklys into a monthly, montly's onto a CD. as well as some way to
>>retrieve and view the messages easily to find the particular mail.
>>
>>Any thoughts, ideas, or redirects? Any help or comments would be welcomed.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>Craig D.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)
>>Systems Administrator
>>West Press Print Communications
>>
>>1663 West Grant Road
>>Tucson, Arizona 85705
>>(520) 624-4939
>>(520) 624-2715 fax
>>/
>>/ www.westpress.com  <http://www.westpress.com>
>>
>>------------------------ MailScanner list ------------------------
>>'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
>>Before posting, read the MAQ (  http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/  <http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/> ) and
>>the archives (  http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html  <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html> ).
>>
>>Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website! /
>>
> MailScanner on IRC
> Community Support
> irc.freenode.net
> #mailscanner

> Before posting, read the MAQ (http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/)
> and the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).
>
> *Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!*

I have considered IMAP, but I don't know enough about it to make an
informed decision to use it. I have only ever used POP3.

I would suspect also that I might want to use Quota's for this type of
config, and I do not know much about that either. We process a couple of
gigabytes a month worth of email with all of the file attachments that
we take in, so I would be afraid of my drive filling up too soon.