Feature Request: Group configuration items for use in rules

Hirsh, Joshua joshua.hirsh at PARTNERSOLUTIONS.CA
Fri Jan 7 14:04:03 GMT 2005

Hi Julian (+ "the list"),

 After doing a recent batch of editing a whole slew of configuration rules
the other day, it got me thinking.

 Any chance that you could implement a type of group definitions for use in
rules? For example, you could define a group named "AnnoyingManagement"
(chosen at random!) that contains a list of email addresses and then
reference only the group name in various rule files.

 This is a very handy feature of most modern firewalls for access lists, and
I could foresee it helping to cut down on the length of some of our rules. I
have various files that reference the same list of users quite frequently,
so if this was implemented, I would only have to edit the group definition
instead of all of the different rules that it would effect.

 Example of how this might work:

 In /etc/MailScanner/rules/group.rules:
 AnnoyingManagement:    bob at domain.com mike at domain.com jim at domain.com
jill at domain.com sarah at domain.com
 bofhSysadmins: root at domain.com bofh at domain.com support at domain.com

 In /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.highscore.rules: