Stop Sendmail from bouncing unknown user?

Richard Thomas richard.thomas at PSYSOLUTIONS.COM
Thu Jan 6 21:15:49 GMT 2005

paddy wrote:

>rfc2821 seems quite clear on this point:
>
>   If an SMTP server has accepted the task of relaying the mail and
>   later finds that the destination is incorrect or that the mail cannot
>   be delivered for some other reason, then it MUST construct an
>   "undeliverable mail" notification message and send it to the
>   originator of the undeliverable mail (as indicated by the reverse-
>   path).
>
>I can't find the 'get-out clause' that relieves you of this obligation
>in general, although I do not profess to have a good knowledge of
>all the relevant standards.

An RFC is not a law. If you don't comply, you are merely noncompliant.
This matters where it matters and doesn't where it doesn't.

Rich

--
MIS Department      |                           |Phone: +1 615 312 5787
840 Crescent Ctr Dr | Psychiatric Solutions Inc |Fax:   +1 615 312 5711