spam: Re: Mail Server problems

Tracy Greggs mailscanner-list at OKLA.COM
Thu Jan 6 06:15:18 GMT 2005

Powerquest products are now owned by Symantec, including Partion Magic and
DriveImage.  The latest Ghost9 will restore images from All versions of
Ghost (a new concept for them) as well as DriveImage images.  The beauty of
Ghost8 corporate is that you can fire up a ghostcast server on any windows
workstation or server, boot your linux box from a bootable cd or floppy with
the NDIS2 drivers for it's NIC and image the linux box to your ghostcast
server, then put a big new drive in the linux box in place of the original,
boot it back up off of your CD or floppy set and restore your image to it
with the options of resizing the original partitions to whatever new sizes
you like on the new larger drive.  The process is very very fast over
100mbit.  Or you can simply stick another drive on the box, boot from your
CD or floppies and image the original drive to the new drive with the same
options of resizing your partitions.  Both ways work for me 100% of the
time.  For those of you running 3ware IDE raid, the array needs no dos
drivers to work with ghost, a huge bonus.  While this is not a free open
source solution, it is IMHO an extremely viable, and rapid solution.  SCSI
dos drivers are available for many controllers as well and is an equally
effective method as the IDE imaging.

Any any event, a backup of the source drive is not necessary because data is
only read from the source and never is the source drive written to.

A typical Linux server ghost process will complete at the rate of around
500MB/min.  15GB of used storage = 30 minutes downtime for entire process.
Perfect for a short maintenance window.

Here is a link to their product features:

http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/ng_features.html

Tracy