OT: RE: [MAILSCANNER] spam: Re: Mail Server problems

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Tue Jan 4 18:38:24 GMT 2005

Dave Goodrich wrote:
> Ken Goods wrote:
>
>> Ugo and anyone who cares to respond,
>>
>> And if we weren't talking commercial? Any open source solution come to
>> mind
>> that is comparable? I want to ghost a small system drive on my firewall
>> since I've been getting a few I/O errors lately... looking for a complete
>> mirror so I can simply swap in the ghosted drive for a little insurance.
>>

> When I build my new mail servers a few weeks ago, I built one up and
> tested it. When it worked the way I wanted I just logged into the other
> machines, partitioned and formatted the drives like I wanted. Then I
> used dump over ssh to move the working server into the next server, and
> the next, and so on. I was installing on FreeBSD 5.2.1 boxes.
>
> Fast, simple, secure, and free.
>
> DAve

If i understand your requirements correctly, then you could checkout
mondo rescue as well.

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

Basically you can create an image of an entire system without any
downtime and store the isos either on the network or on a CD. Recovery
can be done on a different drive on different hardware (doesn't need to
be the same scsi controller etc..)

- dhawal