MailScanner and ORDB rbl

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Tue Jan 4 16:37:26 GMT 2005

Michael H. Martel wrote:
Snip

> I restarted my named process on my DNS server (155.42.1.7), and now it
> returns correctly.  What have I configured wrong on my DNS server
> that it's doing this?

Nothing.  You configured it properly.  DNS caches the results so that you
don't have to do a query to an authoritative server every time.  At the top
of every DNS table is a stanza w/various numbers.  One of them is a time to
live parameter.  It tells a DNS server to keep that record around for X
number of seconds (minutes?)  That way, when your DNS server gets an answer
from a remote server, it won't have to do a new lookup for several hours or
even days.  But since people move their machines around and change addresses
from time to time you don't want to cache the responses forever as sooner or
later some will be out of date so they expire.

Your DNS server just had a fresh answer so it didn't bother to do a new
lookup.  Stopping and restarting cleared it's cache...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500