Fucked up Perl?

Wietse Muizelaar wietse at BOUDISQUE.NL
Mon Feb 28 19:39:15 GMT 2005

Hi,

I seem to have a fucked up perl system, and I'm not sure on how to fix this
:)

Ok, what is the actual situation. I tried to install the MailScanner
4.39.3-beta last weekend.
Started the install.sh (on a Debian Woody system, with some backports
installed, so no rpm-stuff)

It starts with the IO-Stringy: no problem
Next: MIME::Bas64: no problem
Timedate: no problem
Mailtools: no problem
Html::Parser: no problem
Mime-tools:
Checking for module MIME::Base64 (version 3.03)... not found.
 --- Fallback: Checking for module MIME::Base64 (version 2.20)... not found.

Which is quite curious, because a few steps above, it succesfully installs
the 3.05-version of MIME::Base64.

When I manually enter the perl-tar/ directory, untar the
MIME-tools-5.417.tar.gz, enter the dir, and do a perl Makefile.PL, this is
the result:
Checking for module MIME::Base64 (version 3.03)... ok.

All these commands done as user root.

So, I'm not really sure where this is going wrong.
When I search for the pearllocal.pod-files, these are the different
locations on my system:
locate perllocal
/usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/perllocal.pod
/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/perllocal.pod
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/perllocal.pod
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/pod/perllocale.pod
/usr/local/man/man1/perllocale.1
/usr/share/man/man1/perllocale.1.gz
/usr/share/perl/5.6.1/pod/perllocale.pod

And when looking at those different files; it looks like some different
versions of certail modules are installed at different locations. I think
this is NOT a Good Thing (tm).

The output of my current running MailScanner -v:
/opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner -v
Running on
Linux boudams 2.6.10 #1 Thu Jan 6 10:37:20 CET 2005 i686 unknown
This is Perl version 5.006001 (5.6.1)

This is MailScanner version 4.38.7
Module versions are:
1.14    Archive::Zip
1.119   Convert::BinHex
1.03    Fcntl
2.6     File::Basename
2.03    File::Copy
2.00    FileHandle
1.0404  File::Path
0.12    File::Temp
1.29    HTML::Entities
3.45    HTML::Parser
2.30    HTML::TokeParser
1.20    IO
1.08    IO::File
1.121   IO::Pipe
3.05    MIME::Base64
5.417   MIME::Decoder
5.417   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.417   MIME::Head
5.417   MIME::Parser
3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.417   MIME::Tools
0.10    Net::CIDR
1.03    POSIX
1.72    Socket
0.01    Sys::Syslog
1.01    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.75    DB_File
1.05    Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.33    Digest::MD5
2.06    Digest::SHA1
missing Inline
missing Mail::ClamAV
3.000002        Mail::SpamAssassin
1.997   Mail::SPF::Query
0.15    Net::CIDR::Lite
0.47    Net::DNS
missing Net::LDAP
missing Parse::RecDescent
missing SAVI
1.2     Sys::Hostname::Long
2.26    Test::Harness
0.47    Test::Simple
1.95    Text::Balanced
1.31    URI

So, it looks like the correct modules versions are being found by
MailScanner. Is that correct?

If my Perl-thing is fucked up, is there any way to easily fix this? Or is it
just completely remove all perl-related stuff from my system, install all in
the same way (I remember installing some of the modules using the
CPAN-shell; lately I read this was 'wrong'?), from the MailScanner-tar.gz.
If anyone can give a hint, please? :)

Regards,
Wietse