[OT?] strange /root/dead.letter file

Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy miguelk at KONSULTEX.COM.BR
Thu Feb 24 11:23:12 GMT 2005

I use tripwire to monitor file integrity. This morning it pointed to the
existence of a dead.letter file in the /root directory, the ones I get
when I abort a pine session. This file has the content of a typical spam
email, directed outside our domains from outside our server. If I search
the maillog for the message ID in the header I get this:

Feb 24 03:30:53 rivendell sendmail[32044]: j1O4Uftl032044: timeout
waiting for input from 200-161-96-153.dsl.telesp.net.br during message
collect
Feb 24 03:30:53 rivendell sendmail[32044]: j1O4Uftl032044:
from=<root at konsultex.com.br>, size=1398, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<200502240430.j1O4Uftl032044 at rivendell.konsultex.com.br>,
proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=200-161-96-153.dsl.telesp.net.br
[200.161.96.153]
Feb 24 03:30:53 rivendell sendmail[32044]: j1O4Uftl032044:
to=<root at konsultex.com.br>, delay=02:00:03, pri=30170, stat=timeout
waiting for input during message collect

Since this is definitely not a time when anyone on this server would be
using pine, especially as root. Is it possible that Mailscanner causes
this? To me it looks like a relay attempt that was blocked by sendmail
itself. But why would it generate a dead.letter file?

Miguel

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.