Best value anti-virus programs

Paul Welsh zen23003 at ZEN.CO.UK
Fri Feb 18 14:19:59 GMT 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:35:00 +0100, Steen, Glenn <Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE> wrote:

>I'd recommend that you use at least clamav and bdc in conjunction with
>a commercial AV... "Don't put all eggs in one basket" and all that;).
>The extra "cost" in terms of processing is usually worth it. If you'd
>just use one extra, take clam.

Do you think there's an argument for saying BitDefender is to all intents
and purposes commercial because the free Linux Edition uses the same virus
database as their commercial products?

I'd like to express my thanks to the list at having allowed me to save a
few hundred US dollars by not renewing my F-Prot licence!

Now, had F-Prot maintained their original licensing policy of per server
licensing then I probably would have simply renewed without looking at
alternatives.  They do a per server product for file servers but they make
it very clear on their purchasing page that on mail servers you must buy
their per user product.