postfix delay

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu Feb 17 11:19:02 GMT 2005

On Thu, February 17, 2005 9:33, Steen, Glenn said:
> I'm sure that Drew Marshall (or someone else more knowledgeable than
> lil' ol' me) can confirm/deny this, but AFAIK there is no such feature
> as the sendmail 8.13.1 greet_pause in postfix (Yet... I've looked
> mainly at 2.1 docs).
> -- Glenn

You are right, there isn't a greet_pause function in Postfix. I think the
view is that delying SMTPd connections just uses up SMTPd daemons, which
will then be 'held open' until they time out (As set with smtpd_timeout,
default is 300s) and with a flood of mail you would run out of SMTPd
processes. You could increase them in master.cf but then run the risk of
killing your machine having over used resources.

The closest you get is the smtpd_soft_error_limit which adds a delay
(Default 1s) to smtp connections that make x many errors (Default 10)
during one connection and indeed the smtpd_hard_error_limit (Default 20)
which will disconnect if the number of error continues but this won't help
spam, only directory or relay attacks.

There are other ways to reduce your spam at Postfix level. I would
recommend having a read of http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html (Scroll
down to the sections starting 'smtpd_') which gives you all the options.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy