Mailscanner MRTG

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Wed Feb 16 18:21:52 GMT 2005

Roger Jochem wrote:

>It was a mispell. I meant port 161.
>
>The string was incorrect... Now snmpwalk returned some data... But the
>graphics are still empty. What do I put in the "interfaces" field? Just
>eth0?

Roger,

This is what I have in my /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file:
# START snmpd.conf
# This line makes the snmp daemon listen only on the loopback interface
# If you want to run on an alternative port change the 161 part
# (Don't forget to update the mailscanner-mrtg.conf file with the new
# port
agentaddress localhost:161
# Use this version instead for ucd-snmp
#agentaddress 161 at localhost

# This line sets up a single community string (with read-only access)
# With access only permitted from localhost
# If you have users logging into your machine and want to make sure they
# can't easily get info from snmp change 'public' to something else
# (Don't forget to update the community string in mailscanner-mrtg.conf)
rocommunity  public localhost

# System Information, change this if you want
syslocation Unknown
syscontact Root <root at localhost>
# FINISH snmpd.conf

On some servers I use the alternate form of the agentaddress directive
(depending on the version of SNMP on that server).

Since the port is closed to the outside world I don't care if processess
on the server can get to its statistics.

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste