Debugging and resolving high loadavg when running MailScanner

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Wed Feb 16 14:50:29 GMT 2005

Ok. That's at least an indication that "peaks" might not be handled that
well.
Do take a look at getting some form of "baseline" for vmstat and sar
established, so
that you can compare to what you have during "slowdown"/peaks. What is
normal
for one system might be spelled o-v-e-r-l-o-a-d on another:-).

BTW Just trying to help here, not snub you in any way. Not being native
to the english language
has been noted to make me look to be in the "jerk department" from time
to time:).

Regards
-- Glenn
-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Richard Curtis
Sent: den 16 februari 2005 15:39
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Debugging and resolving high loadavg when running
MailScanner

I am not claiming to be a master admin or anything - I am just
trying to solve what I believe to be a problem using what I know to
the best of my abilities.
The reason that I percieve there to be a problem is that when the
load goes high, web page serving and even ssh logins can take a
long period of time.  That is what led me to beleive there is an
issue.

I will go and look into the tools such as SAR that you mentioned
and see what I can establish from that.

Thanks for the advice... Im still learning and just trying to work
out issues as I find them...

Richard

      Excuse me, but why are you "hung up" on loadfactor as a
      performance meter?
It is just the average run queue size (averaged over 1, 5 and
15 minutes), and as such is meant
to vary.

You say you have a 2 CPU system, in which case (with a "SMP
capable" kernel) you'd be fine
with anything up to 2 in a "sustained load" (meaning more
than in transient peaks).

Add to this that processes in "non-interruptible wait"
(usually for IO resources) add an unconditional
1 (one) each, it is not at all surprising that the load goes
a bit beyond your "CPU count" when you
have a larger batch of messages coming in.

Unless you perceive true slowdowns, you don't really have a
problem with that.

Now, the swap bit _could_ be an indicator of true problems...
You say you use it for other things than
as a mailhub... So you might be in a slightly memory starved
state, easily determined via vmstat or sar,
if you have a fair amount of ongoing swapping.
But using swap on a system that runs for an extended period
of time is usually not an indicator of
problems in and of itself, it is the actual moving to/from
swap of frequently used memory slices that'll
be a killer.
If you can determine that you have this situation, you have
only two venues: reduce the RAM usage
(by reducing what the machine does), or add more RAM.

Nothing you've said so far indicate that you do have a
problem... Does the machine occasionally
slow down in a perceptible and measurable way? Does
MailScanner report huge batches?

I'd like to recommend the excellent "swordfish book" from
o'rielly (Systems performance tuning).
Even though it is geared toward Solaris primarily and linux
(2.4) secondarily, it has a lot of general
good tips (and tool usage tips that are rather generic for
most unices).

-- Glenn