OT Sendmail configuration question

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Tue Feb 15 18:41:18 GMT 2005

I have used a seven second delay for quite a while with sendmail 8.13.
Approximately 1500 connections a day out of approx 30K messages a day
are rejected via the pre-greeting setting.

When I first deployed sendmail 8.13, I started with a 30 second delay,
per a blurb on the net (that I can't find now) indicating that a 30
second delay punted nearly all spambots.  But you also punt a fair
number of legit connections from places like Verizon that are in a
hurry and have short time-outs.  Seven seconds keeps the really
obnoxious spambots at bay but doesn't interfere with real traffic
(or some spam).

Jeff Earickson
Colby College