URGENT Zlib related problem

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Fri Feb 11 11:15:13 GMT 2005

(Sorry all for a longish post of pretty obvious views)
A rule of thumb that wont help you much in dealing with your messed up system:
Never install from source what has already been installed from binary package, or the other way around.
Confusion and chaos lies along that path.

If you absolutely have to get the source version, be sure to deinstall the binary one first (if at all possible...).

As I'm sure someone has already menitoned, usually there is a backported update to things like this. Find a get that.
The source version of clamav cannot have a view on that matter, only on the known source versions of zlib, so... the warning should perhaps read "... but please do use the disable-check option if you're absolutely sure you've got all the relevant fixes", but that would probably just lead to more confusion:-).

Now, to deal with your system... I'm not entirely sure you've accounted for the exact things you've done, so being precise about what to do is pretty hard.
The no-brainers are of course to remove any vestiges of the botched source install of zlib ("make -n install" is your friend there), and try forceload a working rpm copy (this might mean reverting to an older one with rpm --oldpackage ...). If you updated other libs (like glibc with a --force...) you might be in for a fun round of trying to get to an "equilibrium" where all packages are in a working sync.

When all is said and done, it's pretty likely that your time is best spent restoring a backup or building a completely new install.

-- Glenn

-----Original Message-----
Sent:   Fri 2/11/2005 3:35 AM
To:     MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject:        Re: URGENT Zlib related problem
Thank you very much for your input Miguel, and actually I am still working
on this problem.

It sounds like what you did would have worked out for me, however, I went
ahead and tried updating zlib which is where all the trouble began.

Any idea how I can revert to zlib 1.2.1 which at least worked?

Thanks,

Ron