Mailscanner Installation Problem-Wont Install

Leonard Chatagnier lenc at ruralcomm.com
Tue Feb 8 17:49:51 GMT 2005

I have a long standing problem getting Mailscanner to install on my Dell
Dimension
XPS T450 running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0, kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4.  An old
Mailscaner
version was uninstalled(with difficulty) because it wouldn't update and
now it wont
install.  Request for help with the Debian user list, Google searches,
searching your list
and reading manuals yielded no success.  I hope that someone on the
Mailscanner list
can help me correct this problem.  I'm a newbie to Linux and totally
unknowlegable
about networks.  I have a single PC connecting to Internet using a 56K
dialup modem.
The terminal output from the install command is below:

ChatagnierL-Home:/tmp# dpkg -i mailscanner_4.38.10-1_all.deb
(Reading database ... 140708 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mailscanner (from mailscanner_4.38.10-1_all.deb) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: line 22: db_get: command not found
dpkg: error processing mailscanner_4.38.10-1_all.deb (--install):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 127
 mailscanner_4.38.10-1_all.deb
ChatagnierL-Home:/tmp#
Note: the /tmp.ci/preinst part of the file path doesn't exist so I
couldn't
investigate it.  Mailscanner has never been functional although I setup
Exim, spamassassin and f-prot as I thought it should be based on the
documentation.

Thanks for any help you might provide,

Leonard Chatagnier