Mail not forwarding to mailserver after being scanned.

JD jd at BENTECMED.COM
Mon Feb 7 22:51:37 GMT 2005

the sendmail Faq does address the issue but it states:

There are a couple of additional cases where you don't actually want local
delivery, and thus adding domain.net to class w is not the right fix:

    * When relay.domain.net should just be acting as a forwarder, e.g. a
firewall/gateway box. The proper fix could be to set up a mailertable entry
for domain.net.

which I did but it doesn't seem to be using it. The interesting part is that
once I went back to sendmail 8.12 everything worked okay. so maybe i'll just
stay away from 8.13

-JD

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Stephen Swaney
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 1:26 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Mail not forwarding to mailserver after being scanned.

This is a very common problem covered in the Sendmail FAQ:
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.5

> Feb  7 11:42:48 localhost sendmail[1541]: j17JgHdS001528: SYSERR(root):
> mail.bentecmed.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
> Feb  7 11:42:48 localhost sendmail[1541]: j17JgHdS001528:
> to=jd at bentecmed.com, delay=00:00:11, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp,
> pri=120003, relay=mail.bentecmed.com. [64.57.104.140], dsn=5.3.5,
> stat=Local
> configuration error
> Feb  7 11:42:48 localhost sendmail[1541]: j17JgHdS001528: SYSERR(root):
> hash
> map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: No such file or
> directory

You didn't mention your operation system, but if it's Linux (or close to it)

Edit /etc/aliases to add any aliases necessary for your configuration then
run the command:

        newaliases

or if that fails, try

        /usr/lib/sendmail -bi

> I used the command makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable <
> /etc/mail/mailertable to create the db which should be correct, so im not
> exactly sure what the problem is.
>
> -JD

Steve

Steve Swaney