SA & 50_scores.cf -- D CCifd

Steve Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Thu Feb 3 22:37:06 GMT 2005

Magda,

No. Unless you're cprcessing +100,000 emails a day. I quote from the DCC
FAQ:

"---------------
Do I need to run a DCC server?
    A mail system that processes fewer than 100,000 mail messages per day
uses less of its own bandwidth and the bandwidth of other DCC servers by
using the public DCC servers. Each mail message needs a DCC transaction that
requires about 100 bytes, and so 100,000 mail messages/day imply about 10
MBytes/day of DCC client-server traffic. Each DCC server needs to exchange
"floods" or streams of checksms with 4 other servers. Each flood is
currently about 100 MBytes/day for a current total of about 400 MBytes/day.

    When normally installed by the included Makefiles, DCC clients are
configured to use the public DCC servers without any additional
configuration, except to open firewalls to port 6277.

    Mail systems that process more than 100,000 mail messages per day need
local DCC servers connected to the global network of DCC servers. The public
DCC servers include denial of service defenses which ignore requests in
excess of about 240,000 per day per client.

Steve

Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com
www.fsl.com